Opportunities for Researchers

RTDI Database

This database provides European researchers with information about Research, Technology Development and Innovation (RTDI) programmes around the world. The programme information, which is updated continuously, comes from 11 countries with RTDI programmes that are open to European participants. The current open calls are available here.

Living in New Zealand

The North and South Islands of New Zealand are located in the South Pacific Ocean, southeast of Australia. The Maori reached the islands in approximately 800 AD, and in 1642, the islands were discovered by Abel Tasman, a European explorer. From the late 18th century, explorers, missionaries and traders visited the islands, and in 1840, New Zealand became part of the British Empire following the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi between the British Crown and various Maori chiefs.

New Zealand has gained worldwide accolade for its film industry, and is a popular holiday destination known for its outdoor activities and clean green image. Tourism is one of the largest export industries for the country, second only to its dairy industry in terms of foreign exchange earnings. Australia, the UK, US, China, Japan, Germany, South Korea and Canada are the main sources of visitor arrivals for NZ tourism (Source: Tourism NZ) New Zealand also enjoys one of the highest standards of living in the world, recently ranking 3rd  as the best country to live in the world after Norway and Australia by the 2010 UN Human Development Report. In Mercer’s 2010 Worldwide Quality of Living Survey, Auckland, NZ’s largest city, ranked 4th worldwide (Source: Staff.co.nz).

Working in New Zealand

New Zealand has the 11th lowest unemployment rate in the OECD at 6.6%, with the average OECD rate at 8.2% (Source: Government of New Zealand, Department of Labour). Employment in the areas of agriculture and forestry is high, due to high demand for dairy products overseas resulting in high prices. As of March 2011, there were 156,700 people employed in agriculture and forestry (Source: CareersNZ).

Nevertheless, there are a number of professions and industries where New Zealand is experiencing a skills shortage. These include Environmental and Life Sciences, Veterinary Science, Building and Construction, Engineering, Electronics Manufacturing, ICT, Physical Sciences, Aquaculture, Survey, Design & Planning, and Energy (Source: CareersNZ).
The median weekly income in New Zealand in June 2010 was NZ$529 (Source: Government of New Zealand, Statistics Department).  However, salaries do vary from sector to sector, and in 2009, the highest income earners in New Zealand were in the fields of Medicine and ICT (Source: CareersNZ).


  • Working in NZ
    There are a number of different categories for applying for a Work Visa or Permit in NZ, but it is important to demonstrate that you have the skills and qualifications in areas falling under the NZ skill shortage lists. For further information, visit the Immigration New Zealand website.
  • Permanent Residents
    After having worked in NZ for some time, you may be eligible to apply for permanent residency. Having NZ Permanent Resident status means enables you to remain in the country indefinitely. Permanent Residents are entitled to a number of rights, benefits and privileges that are similar to those of New Zealand citizens, including full employment rights, education, free or subsidised legal and health care services, social security benefits and the right to vote.
    For further information, visit the Immigration New Zealand website.
  • Double Tax Agreements
    Working in NZ while a citizen of another country may result in you being double-taxed. NZ has negotiated DTAs with other countries to decide which country or territory has the first or sole right to tax specific types of income. European countries involved in DTAs with NZ include: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, the Russian Federation, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the UK. For Further information, contact the NZ Inland Revenue Department.